Tag: Francois

October 7, 2019

Unattended stove causes 200000 house fire

Unattended cooking has been named as the cause for a fire that destroyed a   home on 2nd Concession Road, Port Rowan on Sunday.Firefighters were dispatched to the scene at just after 3 p.m.Norfolk County Fire Prevention Officer Michael Atkins cites unattended cooking as the cause of the $200,000  fire.“The home owner turned on the stove then stepped outside to feed his dogs. When he returned, flames were already coming out of the home. He attempted to go back inside and sustained first degree burns to his arm before exiting again and going to a neighbour’s house to call 911,” said Atkins. “Unfortunately, by the time he was able to call 911 and crews arrived on scene, the home was already fully engulfed in flames.”Atkins says that while the house was a total loss, the situation could have been much worse.“Today’s incident reinforces two key fire safety messages. ‘Look while you cook’ and ‘Get out and stay out’. A large percentage of home fires are caused by careless cooking. We tell everyone that they should stay in the kitchen and keep careful watch anytime the stove is being used.”A detached garage near the house also caught fire due to its close proximity but crews were able to limit the damage.Ontario Provincial Police, Norfolk County Paramedic Services, and Hydro One assisted at the scene.Norfolk County fire crews were at the home until about  6:45 p.m.The home is believed to be insured. read more