first_imgFeb 14 (Reuters) – Christian Eriksen celebrated his 24th birthday with the winning goal for Tottenham Hotspur when they beat Manchester City 2-1 at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday to stay second in the Premier League table.Spurs broke the deadlock in the 53rd minute after referee Mark Clattenburg ruled that City’s Raheem Sterling had handled in the area even though he turned his back as Danny Rose crossed and the ball hardly seemed to hit his arm.But that did not worry Kane who fired his spot kick down the centre of the goal and past his England team mate Joe Hart into the net.Yaya Toure almost equalised for the home side when he hit the bar with a 57th minute free kick, but they were soon level when Kelechi Iheanacho swept a cross from Gael Clichy into the roof of the Spurs net.Eriksen though gave Spurs all three points when he scored in the 83rd minute after a surging run from Erik Lamela.last_img read more

first_imgDear Editor,In light of the ticking constitutional clock, the suspicious silence of the unilaterally appointed GECOM’s Chairman Justice (retired) James Patterson, puts GECOM under the radar for highest scrutiny. Whatever the reason for President David Granger’s unilateralism, no skullduggery will be accepted as we arrive at the crossroads.The Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mr Keith Lowenfield are bungling with the necessary preparation for Regional and National Elections which are constitutionally due not later than March 19, 2019. This lack of accountability and transparency is very awkward, invites a crisis, and will have significant consequences for all and sundry.In the past, Chairman Patterson publically spoke about the confidence he has in the GECOM staff. Further, the GECOM Public Relations Officer (PRO) reassured Guyanese that GECOM will be ready to carry out its function when called upon. This column, therefore, demands in the interest of all citizens, drastic changes to their ‘pussyfooting’ approach by the CEO and Chairman. This column definitively calls for swift decisive action in executing the business of their obligated constitutional responsibilities.We note the calls of Commissioners and Staff members at GECOM who are very worried and have asked serious questions about the inventory of the existing stocks at the GECOM head office located at Coldingen, East Coast Demerara. The fact that there ought to be tens of millions of dollars in stock there and the lack of audit over several years is of strongest concern. It sets up the pitch for limitless and the familiar fraudulent practices already exposed by the Auditor General to be repeated as an excuse for short procurement timelines.I urge the immediate commencement of refresher updates for the thousands of staff recently trained and used at the Local Government Elections, and a strong criteria-based approach for persons who are selected to work by the Commissioners at the Secretariat. GECOM must also move to procure voter education delivery service in a fair and transparent way, towards the mandatory polls.We call on the President and his Cabinet to do the right thing and answer the Guyanese people at the Polls.Sincerely,Neil Kumarlast_img read more

first_img“We seriously intend to work toward it,” he said, without disclosing any details. Tyson, 40, danced to Bollywood music at a two-day shoot in Las Vegas last month for a music video to promote “Fool n Final,” about a diamond heist. “The atmosphere was very congenial, happy and energetic,” the newspaper quoted Tyson as saying. Tyson plays himself in the music video, set for release later this month. He said Nadiadwala explained the concept of the music video to him earlier this year. “I was, anyway, in that phase when I didn’t mind trying out something different,” he said. “The script seemed very interesting, with lots of excitement thrown in.” Tyson said there are similarities between acting and boxing. “In both the fields, in order to survive and triumph, you need focus and to be highly disciplined and determined,” he said. A judge in Phoenix gave Tyson permission to travel to Las Vegas to shoot the music video. Tyson is facing charges of drug possession and driving under the influence of drugs for an arrest in Scottsdale, Ariz., last year.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Mike Tyson wants to try something new – acting in Bollywood movies. Tyson said the energy on the sets of a music video he recently shot for a new comedy got him thinking about trying to do more Bollywood work, The Times of India reported Monday. The former heavyweight boxing champion said in an interview that Firoz Nadiadwala, producer of “Fool n Final,” had approached him with a script. “Firoz has discussed a movie with me,” the newspaper quoted Tyson as saying. last_img read more

first_img1 Paul Pogba was on the scoresheet for Juventus It was a pretty bad evening for Manchester United. Not only were the Red Devils knocked out of the FA Cup at the hands of old rivals Arsenal, but three former stars showed the fallen giants exactly what they’re missing.Danny Welbeck inflicted the killer blow at Old Trafford, Luis Nani showed his worth by grabbing the winner for Sporting Lisbon, while over in Italy Paul Pogba underlined just why he is regarded as one of the finest players in the world, with a stunning strike against Phil Collins’ favourite team Sassuolo.The Frenchman has a habit of scoring sublime goals and this one was no different, as can be seen below…Is Paul Pogba as good as Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo? Comment below…last_img

first_img1:30 p.m. A check of game videos finds only three of California’s five football victories will be affected by Tuesday’s announcement that the Condors will have to forfeit games for use of an ineligible player. The two victories against Buena Park and La Serna will stand because the players did not participate in them. The wins reversed by the forfeits were against El Monte, Bassettt and Santa Fe. The two losses on the field were to Rowland and Schurr. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECalifornia’s bungled $1 billion accounting system last_img read more

first_img“It’s massive,” he said. “The job the chairman has done – from the board of directors to the coaching staff – there’s been an amazing turnaround at the club, and that’s just from when I came here.“They’re putting things in to improve it things as well… facilities, I think we’ve got an improved squad this season. Going forward, I think people will see the manager’s made good additions.“It’s a weight off your shoulders because you know you’re definitely getting paid every month.“That’s something I’ve had before in the past when I was at Leeds, when they were going into administration, and I had it at Rotherham as well when they were going into administration. “People take that for granted at times that you will get paid all the time, so that’s a weight off the shoulders.“Added to that all the other stuff they’re doing at the club, it’s nice to come into work and have all the facilities here.“We need to use that to our advantage to make the most of all these good things we’ve got.” Martin Woods says the announcement that Ross County are debt-free for the first time in their history is a “weight off the shoulders” of the players.Chairman Roy McGregor made the announcement this week, with the Dingwall club now on an even keel after revealing their accounts for the past financial year.“That is a bit of a milestone in the 22-year journey, the first time we’ve been debt-free,” he said. “We’ve come from the era when the old green stand was here, grass banks. We feel we’ve now completed what we set out to do.”Woods believes the announcement will also have an impact on Ross County’s players, talking through personal experience of playing for clubs going through financial turmoil.last_img read more

first_imgHibernian manager Neil Lennon will be free to take his place in the dugout for next week’s Scottish Cup semi-final against Aberdeen after his disciplinary hearing was postponed.Lennon is facing three charges relating to a bust-up between Hibs and Morton staff and players during their Championship match at Easter Road on March 29. Morton manager Jim Duffy faces just one charge, as does his assistant Craig McPherson.An initial date of April 20 was set to hear all cases, which would have resulted in Lennon being in the stands for the Hampden semi-final if found guilty. However, at the request of the Easter Road club, his hearing will now take place on April 25.In a brief statement on their website, the Scottish FA said: “The Judicial Panel met today and due to non-availability of Hibernian FC’s solicitor in the coming week they agreed to postpone Hibernian FC’s hearings until 25 April 2017. A war of words between the two continued in the days following the match and Lennon was displeased when he was charged with rule breaches, especially when learning that he faced more charges than Duffy.“Yes, I think it’s nonsense,” he told STV. “Like I said, I’ll contest it.“I’ve seen the referee’s report and in the report he says he was 15 metres from the incident which is 30-40 yards away. I was two.“I saw it all in full right in front of me.” “Greenock Morton FC’s hearing on 20 April will go ahead as planned.”Lennon and Duffy were both sent to the stands during the Championship fixture after a brawl broke out in the closing minutes of the game.Trouble came after Morton’s Kudus Oyenuga’s caught Jordon Forster with a late tackle.Forster’s team-mate Darren McGregor confronted Oyenuga and both players were sent off, but only after managers and players were involved in an angry altercation on the pitch.last_img read more

first_imgInjured: Paddy McCourt, Adam Duffy, John O’FlynnDoubtful: Mark Coyle, Nathan BoyleSuspended: Keith Cowan Wexford Youths may be second from bottom of the League of Ireland First Division but they won’t make easy opponents for Finn Harps tomorrow night in Ballybofey (kick-off 8.00). That’s according to Harps manager Ollie Horgan who saw them secure a very creditable draw against second from top Drogheda Utd last Friday night at Ferrycarrig Park.“Wexford got a draw against a top team like Drogheda even though they played most of the second half with just ten men. We struggled to beat them up here earlier in the season 1-0 and it was a draw when we played them at Ferrycarrig Park. They have signed Dean Walsh on loan from Waterford and he will be a good addition to their squad. Over the years we don’t have a great record against Wexford but hopefully that is changing so we can get a result against them on Friday night” Horgan.It’s another big match for Harps who will be hoping to extend their unbeaten run to six games. A victory would put them in a great position with just four games to go then after the Wexford fixture. Horgan’s men currently sit third just behind Drogheda on goal difference with Shels fourth and two points behind. Galway and Longford are fifth and sixth respectively. They are both six points behind Harps. UCD remain clear leaders – seven points ahead of both Drogheda and Harps.Paddy McCourt, John O’Flynn and Adam Duffy remain out while Nathan Boyle who missed the Cobh game due to injury is a doubt for tomorrow night. Mark Coyle returns to the squad after suspension but the Burt man is still troubled by a knee injury. Keith Cowan is suspended. New on-loan signing from Derry City, Niall Logue comes straight in to the squad.last_img read more

first_imgThat’s because North Carolina, along with 23 other states, joined a lawsuit challenging portions of the Environmental Protection Agency rules that would restructure how energy is generated and consumed in the United States. The N.C. Department of Environmental Quality — formerly known as the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Quality — believes those rules are outside the authority the Clean Air Act grants. Therefore, DEQ’s proposed rules address only its plan to make the state’s electricity generating units more effective. That’s the only component of the federal carbon rule the DEQ believes to be legal under the Clean Air Act.“The proposed rule will have very little, if any, environmental benefit and many of the provisions regarding carbon capture and storage are overstated,” said DEQ Secretary Donald van der Vaart of the disputed portion of the federal rules.  “This rule will not achieve significant reductions in carbon dioxide emissions and relies on unproven technology that could be technically and economically impractical.”Environmental groups, however, have decried the state’s plan as an ineffective document that is “designed to fail,” in the words of Gundrun Thompson, senior attorney for the Southern Environmental Law Center.“It is disappointing to see the Department of Environmental Quality once again putting politics before pollution cleanup,” Thompson said, adding, “Instead of using the Clean Power Plan as a political football, DEQ should take advantage of the Clean Power Plan’s flexibility to design a plan that could continue boosting North Carolina’s clean energy economy.”The DEQ is working on a backup plan in addition to the one now out for public comment. If the lawsuit is unsuccessful, it will refer to this plan.The comment period will extend through Jan. 15, with public hearings planned for Charlotte, Raleigh and Wilmington. Written comments can be emailed to daq.publiccomments@ncdenr.gov with “111(d)” in the subject line or sent to Joelle Burleson, Re: 111(d); Division of Air Quality; 1641 Mail Service Center; Raleigh, N.C., 27699-1641.www.ncair.org/rules/draft. A state plan to comply with federal rules for controlling carbon emissions is now out for public comment, but the proposed rules leave out key points the feds had asked states to address.last_img read more